Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-07-2024, 10:30 PM   #8
AlanM

Default Re: Powershift Primary Oil Filter Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlCan View Post
Found a very interesting video on YouTube. It's from Latvia, and it's in Russian, with a few recognisable English terms thrown in. Even not knowing a word of Russian, it's quite enlightening and I learned a couple of Russian words along the way: Boltik and Plastika - which was the subject of quite a bit of discussion... The guy who does the teardown is obviously very familiar with these boxes, and spotted something abnormal right at the start. Only realised that, by following the transcript once translated into English. (I'll try to post the translation as an attachment in case anyone is interested.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4PdTiTZ9y4&t=1000s (Link starts where the sump filter is being discussed.)

I was particularly keen to see if I could figure out how the oil maintains a higher level in the Mechatronics section than in the transmission housing, but it's not at all obvious (to me anyway). The Oil Pump picks up from the Sump Intake Filter in the Mechatronic section (which would tend to drain it), and presumably most of the fluid returns through exhaust ports on the Mechatronic slab (back into the Mech section). But I guess a certain amount goes into the Bell housing, via input shaft / clutch ring seals leakage) which I suppose ultimately connects to the transmission section. It seems to me, there must be a way that it keeps the Mech section topped up. Maybe the crown wheel acts as an oil slinger and "throws it over the wall"? I have no idea. Anyone else?

There are what seem to be pump scrolls cast into the bearing end housings but whether that's what does it via hollow shafts, I don't know.

Anyway, the sump filter and pump feature at about 17:00 into the video, and I see that the bolt that holds the sump filter spigot in place has a dual function, hence its length. It also helps bolt the oil pump into the housing, so I imagine it needs to be tightened back up pretty well.

My replacement sump filter / pickups arrived today, but they are much smaller than they look in all the videos I've seen. Maybe it's just the fact of viewing on a large screen, but mine, although looking the right shape etc, are only 192mm long (overall) x 137mm wide (overall). They are a weird shape - no edge is parallel to its opposite and only one corner is 90°.

AlanM, did you keep your old filter, and did you happen to cut it open, by any chance? I'm very curious about how it's constructed but would like to know before I pull mine out.

BTW, I'm now convinced that all the oil, pressure fed to the mech unit etc must pass through the sump pickup filter, so for bits of plastic to get in and block orifices and jam solenoid valves, there must be a breakdown of the filter element. Found a schematic for the full hydraulic circuit, produced by the ATSG, which I haven't found in the Tech Resources section, but it can be downloaded here:

https://godsskill.files.wordpress.co...rvice-menu.pdf

Enjoy!
I don't know how either, but oil must get transferred back from the clutch and gearbox section to the mechatronic section for the plastic bits to get there. And they definitely do, I've seen them.

I didn't keep the old filter, but we did cut it open. It didn't seem to have any holes in it, but this car doesn't have the problems usually associated with the clutch spring retainers breaking up either. It was just heavily contaminated with thick black sludge.

Best of luck with your filter, as long as you're patient and persistent you'll get it done.
AlanM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post